If you are thinking about selling your house this year, read on to see what today's buyers are looking for. While more than 60% of listings last year failed to sell, the ones that did sell were either audacious bargains at below- market foreclosure sale prices or were in great condition and priced aggressively.
What condition is your home in? Is it updated? Does it have fresh paint? Does the curb appeal make buyers slow down when driving by? Does it have any distinguishing or special features? Following are the top 10 features buyers are looking for in a house.
- Updated Appliances. Stainless steel has become the standard for kitchen appliances. Buyers are looking for style, quality and energy saving features.
- Solid Surface Countertops. Granite is tops in (counter) tops. Don't have granite? Get it.
- Hardwood and/or Ceramic/Stone Tile floors. Carpet is still good in bedrooms. Floor should be in great condition.
- Two Car Garage. Even better than a one car garage. Buyers have a lot of stuff to store- plus cars.
- Master Suites. Love 'em. Big, sexy, romantic... and attached luxury bath.
- Walk-in Closets. Again.. Big, sexy, and ORGANIZED.
- Whirlpool Tubs. Again. Big, sexy with updated plumbing fixtures (that means no shiny brass).
- Finished Basements. Buyers love the extra space and options provided by finished basements. Good lighting a must. Windows a major plus. Drop ceilings, not so good.
- Separate Tub and Shower. Frameless glass enclosures and stone or stone look ceramic tile for showers.
- New or Updated Windows. Thermapane (double paned) is the standard. If you have single pane windows, you may need to at least get an estimate for replacement to deal with buyer objections.